The First Amendment Coalition is accepting nominations for its 2022 Free Speech & Open Government Award, given each year to recognize significant achievement in advancing freedom of information and expression.
The award recognizes outstanding accomplishment, service or other contributions to the advancement of free expression or the people’s right to know about their government. The winner could be a journalist, activist, blogger, lawyer, news organization, software developer or whistleblower — or any combination thereof, including teams. We wish to recognize individuals or institutions whose actions deserve public honor and emulation for their advancement of free expression or government transparency.
DEADLINE: January 27, 2023
WINNER ANNOUNCED: February 16, 2023
Areas vital in the struggle for open government are access to public meetings, public records, the courts, and government data; defense of citizens’ right to speak or protest; defense of journalists’ rights; and defense of the right to blow the whistle and alert the public to government misconduct and other matters of common concern.
Contest rules and details
- This is a national contest. Tell us how this work made an impact and where the impact was felt.
- There is no fee to enter.
- There is no limit to the number of nominations submitted by any person or organization. Self-nominations are encouraged!
- Nominations must be for work done/results achieved between Jan. 1, 2022 and Dec. 31, 2022.
- There is no in-person awards ceremony associated with this award.