The First Amendment Coalition’s legal team is available to answer questions about your rights under the First Amendment and your right to access public information on Election Day and every day. FAC’s staff attorneys will be providing rapid responses to journalists on deadline and can make referrals to experts and qualified legal counsel as the need arises.
FAC’s Legal Hotline is for anyone with questions about:
- Protesters’ rights to assemble and record the police
- Journalists’ newsgathering rights
- Access to public records and meetings
Reporters on deadline or with urgent legal needs can reach out directly to FAC@firstamendmentcoalition.org or (415) 460-5060, which is staffed by the coalition’s lawyers.
Bookmark these helpful guides and resources from other organizations dedicated to protecting civil liberties, press freedom and the public’s right to know.
- 2020 Election Legal Guide by the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (available in English and Spanish)
- You Have a First Amendment Right to Record the Police by the Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Know Your Rights: An Activist’s Guide from the ACLU (available in English and Spanish)
- The Disinfo Defense Toolkit for organizers and advocates by PEN America
- United States Journalism Emergency Fund by the International Women’s Media Foundation in partnership with Craig Newmark Philanthropies
KEEP OUR RESOURCES FREE
FAC’s open-government guides, Legal Hotline and other resources are free and available to all thanks to supporters like you. Consider making a tax-deductible donation to FAC today.