A&A: Violation of Brown Act by fellow board members

Violation of Brown Act by fellow board members

Q: I am an elected official. I believe some of my fellow board members are violating the Brown Act and other public meeting laws.

How do I go about getting an investigation into their activities and decision on potential violations and corrections or cures to potential violations?

A: Without knowing the factual background of your belief, or what evidence you have supporting your allegations, it seems you have a number of options. First, you may raise your concerns with the Board of Education itself, and/or its staff, at a meeting or by letter. Second, you could bring your allegation to the attention of the Attorney General. Lastly, you could file a Brown Act complaint and seek further discovery regarding your allegations.